Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh, Inc.
7200 Stonehenge Drive
Raleigh, NC 27613
(919) 821-9712 (fax)
School Readiness Services for Hispanic Children
School Readiness Services for Hispanic Children is a multi-faceted program which includes:
- Dialogic Reading method which is designed to build language and literacy in early childhood. The program teaches parents strategies that promote language development;
- Readiness for Kindergarten workshops for parents of 4 and 5-year-olds. In these workshops parents learn about the school system, expectations of parents and children, and how parents can ease the transition to kindergarten;
- School preparedness sessions for parents. These 30-minute presentations address parenting education, the importance of reading and playing with one’s child and the expectation of a child who is entering kindergarten;
- Developmental Screening. Based on screening results, children can be referred to community organizations for further evaluation; and
- Information and referrals. As families come to the Hispanic Center seeking services, staff determines the resources families need, assists them in completing applications and provides follow up to ensure needed services are provided.